- You are here:
Roger D. Overholt began his martial arts training in 1978, at Walters State Community College in Okinawan Shorin Ryu Karate. He has studied with Isshinryu Practitioners, Tae Kwon Do, and Mixed Martial Arts. He is currently the chief of the Morristown TN Police Department and continues his karate training. Roger Overholt instructs law enforcement officers throughout the state of TN. He is chief instructor for Overholt’s Karate Studio and Karate classes taught at Kingswood School; he also serves as an assistant instructor for the Walters State Community College Karate Club.
Mr. Overholt is a charter member of the Okinawan Karate Do Union, a member of the Dragon-Cobra-Te System, and a member of Seibukan USA. He is ranked as a Rokudan by both the OKU and the Dragon-Cobra-Te System. Overholt is also recognized as a Yon Dan by Seibukan USA.
Martial Arts Experience
He has thirty-four (34) years training in Shorin Ryu Karate and various styles of martial arts.
- Chief instructor at Overholt’s Karate Studio for 26 years.
- Assistant instructor for Walters State Community College Karate Club.
- Chief Instructor for Kingswood School Karate Program.
- Served as combat and defensive training instructor for East TN Law Enforcement Training Academy for 13 years.
- Recognized for outstanding service to the Basic Law Enforcement Academy.
- Trainer for S.W.A.T. and S.O.R.T. teams throughout the state of TN.
- Has received numerous competition awards in free fighting, empty hands, and weapons kata.
- Trained several students who were recognized as State Champions.
- Doctor of Arts in Criminal Justice Corllins University
- Master’s Degree in Human Resource Development from Tusculum College
- Graduate of the FBI National Academy
- Graduate of Tennessee Law Enforcement Executive Development School
- A.S. Degree in Public Safety-Law Enforcement
- B.S. Degree in Law Enforcement Administration
- B.S. Degree in Organizational Management
- Graduate of Walters State’s Basic Police School
Law Enforcement Experience
He has 30 years Police experience
- He has been Chief of Police, Morristown Police Department since February 2000
- Served from 1998 –2000 as Chief of Walters State Campus Police and Tactical Advisor for Walters State Criminal Justice Program.
- Served as Patrolman, Training Officer, Dare Officer, Swat Commander and Support Services Manager with the Morristown Police Department.
- Served as a Sergeant and Shift Supervisor with Cocke County Sheriff’s Dept.
- Has had several articles published in National Law Enforcement publications.
Recognitions and Awards
- 2010 Patriotic Support Award
- Received 2003 and 2005 Director’s Award from the Tennessee Association of Chiefs of Police
- 2004 Recognized by Governor Phil Bredesen for service on the State Methamphetamine Task Force
- 1991 Police Officer of the year
- 1989 Recognized by the Morristown Police Department for performance above the call of duty
- 1988-89 Juvenile Officer of the year
- 1987 Top Scholastic Achievement and Physical Fitness Award from Walters State Basic Police School
Membership and Boards
- Member of Okinawan Karatedo Union
- Member Walters State Community College Karate Club
- Executive Committee of Southeast Tennessee Methamphetamine Task Force
- Serves as a Training and Police Consultant for Law Enforcement Agencies throughout the State, teaching at National and International Conferences
- Board Member of the Tennessee Association of Chiefs of Police
- Member of Federal Bureau Investigation National Academy Associates
- Member of Tennessee Law Enforcement Executive Development Associates
- 911 Communications Board
- Youth Emergency Shelter Board
- Tusculum College President’s Advisory Board
- Member – International and Tennessee Association of Chiefs of Police
- Certified – State and National Law Enforcement Assessor for Law Enforcement Accreditation
- Board Member Third Judicial Drug Task Force
- Served as a member of Governor’s Task Force on Methamphetamine Abuse
- Served as a Board Member of State Coordinating Committee for Appalachia High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Task Force
- Served as a Board Member of the United States Attorney’s Joint Terrorism Force
- Served as Vice-President and Training Officer to the State Coalition for Accreditation of Law Enforcement
- Served twice as Chairman of East Tennessee Law Enforcement Executive Council
- Served as a Board Member of Morristown Hamblen Emergency Medical Services
- Served as a Board Member of Morristown-Hamblen Multi-Crimes Unit